Doctor of Philosophy in Shariah and Judiciary
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: L401
Medium of instructions: English, Malay and Arabic
Duration of Studies:
- Full Time: 4-12 semesters
- Part Time: 6-16 semesters
Programme Option: By Research
<p><strong>Background of the Programme</strong></p><p>This PhD program is conducted only by research. Candidate who fulfilled the general and special requirement for the admission will conduct an original research under the supervision of an appointed faculty academic member. In cases where more than one supervisor is needed, a second academic member will be appointed to the supervision team.</p><p>Prior to the conducting of the research, the candidate must successfully undergo for two compulsory courses, i.e. Research Methodology and Data Analysis, designed to enhance the skills of research and to familiarize the candidate with the latest tools for analysing data.</p><p>Approval on the area and title of the research will be given after the candidate has successfully defended his research proposal before a special committee formed by the faculty. At the end of the programme, candidates are required to submit a thesis which meets the standard of a PhD degree and successfully go through a viva-voce.</p><p>Candidates are also expected to publish the finding of their research in any recognised reviewed journals</p><p>Areas of research include, but not limited to, the following:</p><p>1. Administration of Islamic Law<br />2. Contemporary Issues in Syariah and Judiciary<br />3. Islamic Criminal Law<br />4. Islamic Law of Evidence<br />5. Theories in Islamic Law<br />6. Islamic International Law<br />7. Human Rights<br />8. Islamic Banking and Takaful<br />9. Islamic Capital Market<br />10. Constitutional Law<br />11. International Law<br />12. Human Rights<br />13. Law of Evidence<br />14. Law of the Sea<br />15. Criminal Law<br />16. Law of Tort<br />17. Cyber Law<br />18. Aviation Law<br />19. Law of Contract<br />20. Company Law<br />21. Banking and Finance Law<br />22. Usul Fiqh<br />23. Qawaid Fiqhiyyah<br />24. Maqasid Shariah<br />25. Islamic Constitutional Law<br />26. Islamic Criminal Law<br />27. Islamic Family Law</p><p> </p><p><strong>Objectives of the Programme</strong></p><p>The course is designed to enable students:</p><ol><li>To apply advanced knowledge in specific areas of syariah and juduciary;</li><li>To develop an advanced level of comprehension, analytical thinking and research skills in law;</li><li>To utilise the advancement of ICT in syariah legal research and the development of business opportunities in the field;</li><li>To utilise effective communication and to lead and engage in academic discourses;</li><li>To acquire interdisciplinary perspectives in addressing syariah legal issues;</li><li>To synthesise and promote Islamic, ethical and professional values in syariah legal researches.</li></ol>
- A Master’s degree in the field or related fields accepted by the Senate; or
- Other relevant qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree AND with relevant professional experience recognised by the Senate; or
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the Faculty.
- Incumbent Master’s degree Student who has fulfilled the requirement of Regulations 8.0 and is approved by the Senate to convert his/her study to a Ph.D. degree; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with the following conditions:
i. a bachelor's degree in the field or related fields with first-class (CGPA of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
ii. undergo internal assessment; and
iii. any other requirements of the JKPSU.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Doctor of Philosophy in Shariah & Judiciary
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://icgs.usim.edu.my/ and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my