Doctor of Philosophy (Medical Sciences) (Phdmedsc)
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: K401
Medium of instructions: English
Duration of Studies:
- Full Time: 4-12 semesters
- Part Time: 6-16 semesters
Programme Option: By Research
<p><strong><u>Background of the programme</u></strong></p><p style="text-align: justify;">This programme has been offered since 2014 to produce postgraduates who are skilled in research in medical science. Postgraduates attend 5 taught courses in the first semester namely Research Methodology, Data Analysis, Advanced Laboratory Skills, Research Ethics and Philosophy of Islamic Science. They then undertake a supervised research project in a medical science field for the next 2-3 semesters. FPSK USIM provides a comprehensive range of research facilities to support the research project and experienced academicians including clinicians from all fields of medical sciences are available to supervise postgraduates.</p><p><u><strong>Objectives of the programme</strong></u></p><p>The Doctor of Philosophy (Medical Sciences) programme is designed to achieve the following objectives: ·</p><p>a) To produce doctoral graduates who are adept and highly knowledgeable in specific fields of medical science .·</p><p>b) To produce doctoral graduates who are skilled in research and able to offer service and consultation in medical science fields effectively while observing and abiding by professional principles and ethics based on Islamic principles and ethics. ·</p><p>c) To produce doctoral graduates who are highly skilled in communication and technology and who are updated in their professional practice. ·</p><p>d) To allow doctoral graduates to explore and further their specialty to a higher level according to the latest needs and developments.<br /><br /><u><strong>Programme Structure</strong></u></p><p>1. Courses a. Research Methodology b. Data Analysis c. Philosophy of Islamic Science</p><p>2. Research 6 or more semesters of supervised research leading to a doctoral thesis in medical science</p>
CAREER PROSPECTS<p>Academician, consultant, lead researcher, chief science officer, senior manager, senior administrator, high level executive; in medical and health sciences either private or government sector</p>
- A Master’s degree in the field or related fields accepted by the Senate; or
- Other relevant qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree AND with relevant professional experience recognised by the Senate; or
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the Faculty.
- Incumbent Master’s degree Student who has fulfilled the requirement of Regulations 8.0 and is approved by the Senate to convert his/her study to a Ph.D. degree; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with the following conditions:
i. a bachelor's degree in the field or related fields with first-class (CGPA of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
ii. undergo internal assessment; and
iii. any other requirements of the JKPSU.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Doctor of Philosophy (Medical Science)
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://icgs.usim.edu.my/ and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my