Master of Science (Foodomics and Food Technology)
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: S302
Medium of instructions: English
Credit hours: 40
Programme Option: Mixed Mode
<p><strong>Background of the Programme</strong></p><p>This program introduces students to the latest techniques in biotechnology such as genetic engineering and bioinformatics as well as the latest techniques in bioprocessing that can be applied to produce new and innovative food products to meet customer needs.</p><p> </p><p><strong>Objectives of the Programme</strong></p><p>To produce graduates who are knowledgeable, skilled and able to integrate the knowledge of biological science and food technology. Master of Foodomics and Food Technology Program strives to achieve the goals or objectives as follows:</p><p>1. To produce graduates who are able to combine and use knowledge and skills in the field of food biotechnology to provide the best services to the food industry, government agencies, corporate sector and research organizations, locally or globally.</p><p>2. To produce graduates who are able to lead and engage in teamwork to solve problems and to contribute new knowledge within or outside the scope of knowledge through the ability to communicate effectively.</p><p>3. To produce graduates who continually strive to improve self-knowledge and ability to maximize on ICT in order to produce financial products, business opportunities and investments for local or global stage.</p><p>4. To produce graduates who practice ethical values and are professional in providing services to the food industry, government agencies, research organizations as well as to have the awareness of hazard and biosafety issues.</p>
CAREER PROSPECTS<p>Graduates of this program can work in jobs involving the manufacturing and production of food, marketing, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, medicine, banking, business and commerce. They also have the option of becoming entrepreneurs or working in public sector such as research, education and enforcement institutions.</p>
Admission to Master’s Degree by Mixed Mode
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate; or
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75/4.00, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment.
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.00/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.50/4.00, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field and rigorous internal assessment; or
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the University and meet the minimum CGPA based on (1) to (3) above.
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Master of Science (Food Biotechnology)
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
NOTICE ON APPLICATION PROCESS TO THE FACULTY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY MASTER'S OF MIXED MODE PROGRAMMES
July 19, 2022
Please be informed that the 98th Meeting of the Jawatankuasa Pengajian Siswazah Universiti (JKPSU) Edition. 8/2021 has agreed to tighten the application process for the Faculty of Science and Technology (FST) Mixed Mode programmes to the following:
a) One (1) offering in a year (only for Semester II).
b) Minimum of five (5) eligible candidates for each cohort before the issuance of offer letter.
Coordination with the Centre for Graduate Studies (PPS) and the Centre for Marketing and Student Admission (PPKP) has subsequently agreed:
To set a specific period for the application process of FST postgraduate programmes.
Accordingly, all prospective candidates are advised to contact the FST Postgraduate Managing Officer by joining the following Telegram Group: https://t.me/+AxT8TnBqOCMyZDU1, or by submitting their personal details and Bachelor qualifications via the following email: email@example.com.
FST team will then be in contact with you to provide more information on the application process.
Your attention is greatly appreciated. Thank you.